Autel Support Communities
Autel Support Communities
Welcome, Guest     Sign in
Communities > Diagnostic & Analysis System > MaxiDas > Problems Connecting with 2005 BMW M3 wit...
Problems Connecting with 2005 BMW M3 with SMG

2320 Views 1 Replies Latest reply: 2016-02-08 22:52:57

•   Level 2   
    (16) points
    PTVU
    2016-01-31 16:49:01
     I am having trouble with the DS708 connecting to the 2005 BMW M3 Coupe with SMG transmission.

The AutoCheck seemed to work okay. Accessing the Drive DME computer gave the error that it could not communicate with the car. Most of the other live data also gave problems such as reading the SMG drive unit.  The vehicle does not have the BMW 20pin round connection as I understand. It only has the ODB2 connector.

I tried the standard ODB V3.39 connection and saw it was trying to make the connecting by cycling through the various connections such as fast/slow/ etc.  Yet it also failed to connect.

Can you provide help in trying to connect

I had previously tried to connect to the same car with the Bluetooth ODBII reader and I was able to read live data.  This was the very first time I had tried with the Autel DS708

Thanks.

•   Level 2   
    (16) points
    PTVU
    2016-02-08 22:52:57 (Reply to:PTVU)
     One problem with the ODB2 cable is it's too thick and if the connector doesn't fit perfectly, the connector will work itself loose.

I bough an ODB2 extender cable that is flexible and I can work with the DS708 without having to disturb the ODB2 connection with the car.

Now I still have communication with the car. I've tested with Jeep, Toyota, and NISSAN and the connection to these cars never failed but with the BMW, it kept on failing.

I also discovered I need to run the AUTO SCAN right off the bat and then I can try to connect and look at the live data with each of the subsystem. However, even then, when the live data is being shown, I will drop out for no apparant reason. I had to repeatedly told the scanner to reread.  So the result is the problems haven't gone away except that sometime I can read the data if I try to read it often enough. This is very frustrating.
  Total1 Pages